Fredericksburg Family Reunion



 Pictured above: The George Rowe House. Fredericksburg, VA

Last weekend I had the opportunity to go up to Fredericksburg for a family reunion. It was a spectacular event, in which the organizers put a lot of soul and hard work. The Patriarch of the family was George Rowe and his wife Lucy Leitch Rowe , whom were prominent figures in the history of Fredericksburg, especially during the War Between The States.  George Rowe would be my great great great great grandfather . This is in the branch of my grandfather's mother's side of the family. George and Lucy Rowe were actually first cousins, who had long standing connections to the Northern Neck area of Virginia.  The event was held at their ancestral home, and included guest speakers which talked about the history of the Rowe family in Fredericksburg and nearby environs, as well as their connections and lineage to the Patawomeck Indian tribe. People came from all over the country, including character actor Hansford Rowe- who was the eldest member and also perhaps  the most energetic. He later sang at the evening portion of the event, which I was unable to attend. However,  the afternoon portion was delightful. I was able to meet many 4th and 5th cousins. They had up to 170 people in attendance, and there was a variety of activities during the afternoon








After my departure from the Rowe house, I went to visit Santee farm which is located in Corbin , Virginia. The plantation house is still very much as it was in generations past. Many of the family furniture is still there as well as faint blood stains  in the center hallway, presumably left  from the 1860s!  I had such a wonderful day at Fredericksburg , and I tried to find Carl's ice cream which I remember was located on Princess Anne St. But I failed to find it. My GPS would not work! So later I decided to head back home to Richmond where I took a much needed nap. I got the opportunity to sing at the art gallery in Fredericksburg as well , and get a feel for the city which I really have not visited since I was a child. In the advent of planning to attend, I was nervous about going. This is the first "Family Reunion" I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. But the hospitality of the families and hosts was evident, and I felt truly at home. Many pictures were taken of each branch of the Rowe family, including which child of George and Lucy Rowe you are in line from,  (ours is Lucy Frances "Fanny" Rowe), and also generational photos. The oldest attendees were the great great grandchildren of George and Lucy Rowe.

I also took some pictures here of the Santee Farm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where exactly is "The South" ?

My Loudoun County Home: Egypt Farm

My Family Connection to Pocahontas