My Family Connection to Pocahontas



I may have rekindled new interest in my love of genealogical research! A family story passed down for ages to me that we were descendants of Pocahontas was confirmed by local Fredericksburg  historian, Bill Deyo. Pocahontas is my 11th Great-Grandmother- and I am descended through her through by her first marriage and her daughter, Kaokee! This was a real neat story to hear. Most people only recount Pocahontas and her marriage to John Rolfe.  Many people are unaware that she had been previously wed to another Patawomeck Indian.  With her first husband, she had a daughter Kaokee.  Kaokee would be my 10th Great Grandmother, and she married later Captain Thomas Pettus- an early Virginia Gentleman and Cavalier. This story is confirmed through the Patawomeck Indian tribe.

Having attended the Rowe family reunion last year in Fredericksburg, we learned of many connections to the Virginia Indians in that family over the years. George Rowe and Lucy Rowe- are my 4th Great Grandparents. They were indeed, first cousins, and because of this, the Indian heritage is strong on that side of the family.  I also have found out that my grandparents are actually 6th cousins to each other, and both of them can trace their lineage to Captain Thomas Pettus. I found another blog online that denotes the Pettus family of Virginia- and our connections to Pocahontas here: Descendants of Thomas Pettus. This gives a great detail and background about the story

I am still researching possible connections to the Cherokee Indian tribe through my great great grandfather's side of the family. They had kin in Virginia and Arkansas as well as Mississippi and Tennessee.  I have always felt sure that I had Native American roots , and it feels nice that I have been able to confirm that part of my heritage. Now I can safely say- my family has been in 'Ol Virginny for a mighty long time !

Comments

  1. Hello! I know I’m commenting a bit late but I have discovered that I too share Pocohantas as my 11th great grandmother! I come from the same line through Kaokee as well, and from there I stem from her marriage to Thomas Pettus from the birth of their daughter Ann Martin! It’s great to see others who are not from John Rolfe’s line that are related to her, and you and I are living proof of the life and marriage that Pocohantas has with Kocoum. I was excited to stumble across your post which is why I eagerly commented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing. Yes, according to Patawomeck tribe, there was indeed a line descended from Kaokee Jane. My line comes through the Rowe family of Fredericksburg.

      Delete
    2. Thomas Pettus and Kaokee are coming up on ancestry as my 9th great grandparents. I don't fully trust what ancestry says so could someone tell me the names of their children?

      Delete
    3. Captain Thomas Pettus and Kaokee Jane had a daughter named Christian Pettus. They also had an adopted son named Stephen.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where exactly is "The South" ?

My Loudoun County Home: Egypt Farm