Purcellville Weekend


Written October , 2010


I headed up yet again to the bright lights of Purcellville, Virginia to play a show at Market Street Coffee. I'm absolutely in love. If you've never been, you should. Because its one of my favorite venues to play. Over the past few years, I've played there many times. Market Street Coffeeshop is one of Northern Virginia's premiere music venues. It reminds me of the Mudhouse in Charlottesville, only cozier. The acoustics are really swell. Its tucked away in the GIANT shopping center, so be sure you don't pass it up for Blockbuster Video, or the photomat. Anyways, I had the typical "in and out" crowd, but there's always a few college kids who stick around with their lap tops. And the baristas are really friendly and polite. Unlike some other coffee shops I have been to- they shared some of their tips with me for the night. I was mighty tired because I had to drive the 130 miles up there and back, and as much as I love my old stopping grounds, its very hard driving Loudoun County at night with what all wild and crazy deer and party animals. After my show, a guy came up and bought a few of my records. He said he went to Loudoun Valley High School (just like me- only I lasted but a few months because I couldn't handle it). Although he was a local, he sounded more like someone from the cast "Goodbye, Mister Chips!". The nice thing about Market Street Coffee is that the staff and the booking people are not all uppity about it. If you inquire to play, they usually reply within a few days, and you're always granted a spot on the calendar. Some folks act as if they're Carnegie Hall.

This weekend I drove almost 900 miles because I had to take my sister out to Shrine Mont and thats way out in the holler on the western edge of Shenandoah County. But the drive oh-so-lovely! The colors are out, but even out in the western part of our Commonwealth, its not at their peak. I picked her up yesterday, and we stopped at Cracker Barell in Harrisonburg. Our waitress was a colored woman who was very friendly and polite. We got just what we asked for! I had Mama's Pancake Breakfast-which included three buttermilk pancakes , two eggs, and two sausages. Also a side of grits and some sweet tea. I don't know why I bothered putting that stuff in my mouth , though. I should have just smeared it no my rump- for thats where it probably will end up in the near future. But their home cookin' is so good! All in all, a great weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where exactly is "The South" ?

My Loudoun County Home: Egypt Farm

My Family Connection to Pocahontas