The Skelton Family Homestead: Paxton


Paxton House: Powhatan County, Virginia. Near Tobaccoville (Built circa 1819)







Above: Dr. John Gifford Skelton: My 3rd Great Grandfather, born at Paxton in 1815.


 It came to my surprise when I found out the Skelton ancestral home was recently sold in 2017 and completely upgraded to full splendor! I was looking up the property online to see if some of the Skelton cousins and myself could visit the property as part of a family reunion . Years ago, I did film the outside, but I never was able to see inside. I found several pictures online available to the public which openly display the inside of the house- which is very remarkable, indeed! Because the property is privately owned, I know it would be difficult to arrange for all of the Skelton descendants to see the inside of the house. While we may be able to tour the grounds of the property, seeing the inside of the Paxton any time soon , seems unlikely. However, I was very thrilled that the estate has published pictures of the inside. It is nice to see what it looks like for the first time in years.  Had my family known Paxton was for sale, we may have bought it. It was within our price range, and it would have been neat to have the family homestead back in the hands of the descendants of the original owners. However, someone else beat us to it. Perhaps one day, we could make an offer?


 Paxton was built by my 4th Great Grandfather, Ennion Skelton. As far as I know, the Skeltons arrived from England, first landing in New Jersey. Shortly before 1800, they moved to Powhatan County, Virginia, where they had friends and relatives. For many years, the Skeltons lived in a smaller dwelling until the main house was built.  Paxton was later built on land owned by Ennion Skelton circa 1819. The house is in the Flemish brick style architecture. The large porch is typical of sprawling farmhouses. While not a grand mansion like those most people picture of Southern plantations, the house is fairly large, and the property contained several outbuildings- two of which in modern times have been converted to beautiful guest cottages . My third Great-Grandfather, Dr. John Gifford Skelton, born at Paxton at 1815, shortly before the main house's construction.  Dr. John Gifford Skelton first married Catherine Randolph, and secondly married Marianne O . Meade- both of his wives of whom were from much older Virginian families. I am descended through the latter marriage- and Meade, of course is my namesake.

Paxton was an ample plantation with around 50 slaves- and produced tobacco, wheat, hemp, and honey as well as other goods made, such as house wines.  Dr. Skelton was a country Dr and during the war later enlisted in the Confederate army as a military Dr. He still made the rounds around the county. Shortly after 1866, Dr Skelton moved to Richmond and helped to establish the Medical College of Virginia. He attended Monumental Church on W. Broad St, and later died of apoplexy in his late 70s.  Recently, Paxton has been restored with modern upgrades and looks as pristine as it ever did when constructed. Much of the house is true of the original dwelling, with the exception of a large screened in back porch added in the middle of the 20th Century . Below are some photos of Paxton, courtesy of local relators.























Paxton also has a nice guest cottage which is very nice as  well:





I hope someday soon to be able to have the Skelton family reunion at Patxon. Many of the family connections still run deep in this part of Virginia. Imagine being able to live at Paxton? I could own some horses and train them. Plenty of room for my music as well. If only I had of known it was for sale!


Comments

  1. Stumbled across your blog while researching Paxton because it's currently for sale. Maybe now's your chance to buy. :) https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3032-Genito-Rd_Powhatan_VA_23139_M55389-86380

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drop by and say hello. Perhaps at tour can be arranged.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where exactly is "The South" ?

My Loudoun County Home: Egypt Farm

My Family Connection to Pocahontas